Saturday, October 1, 2011

Taming the Flyaways

No, not the hair fly aways, although this time of year when the weather turns, hair gets full of static and stands on end.
I am talking about taming the fly aways of your mouth (or my mouth as I am thinking about it.)
I have always been one to mean what I say, or pop off at the mouth no matter what or even worse, let my mouth drive my ship. I have gotten much better over the years as God has worked in me, but even a quick tongue that has been silent for awhile can come back full force.

I had to think about what causes me, my soul, my heart to allow my mouth to get away with things. It was re evaluation time.

Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer each one Col. 4:6

I don't always have grace with people. Sometimes, I think things should be done my way because to ME- that is the right way. And when people close to me don't do it that way, I get frustrated. A little frustration can cause growth, but when you don't check yourself and let God work out that frustration, it can cause bitterness which will cause you to get out of character, or let that old character come back.

Lack of sleep can cause you to get tired and weary which causes you to not think about the actions of your words. Being a mom of 2, pregnant with my 3rd and having a busy life style, I have to schedule and plan to go to sleep early. When this does not happen, I get too tired to be good to anyone and then I get short with everyone around me. This always comes out in my tone. "It's not what you say, it's how you say it." 
Do you remember when you could ask your husband something so sweetly and your voice was light and girly? He would do it! But when you ask blunt and forceful (even using the same words) he has no interest in helping. He may even call you a nag!

Boredom.

If you are bored with what you are doing, not only are you going to not do your best, but you are also going to be negative about what the other people are doing.
If you are bored with whatever it is you are doing, find a way to change it up, or learn something new to add to it. This goes for anything: work, play, schooling, exercise, housework, church. God gave us a fullness of life, to enjoy his creations, not to be bored with our very breath!

So take today to actually think about where your heart is. If there is someone you feel you can't talk to without having a condescending or condemning tone- tell God that only he can change your heart so it comes out in your mouth.

Be careful little children what you say.


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment