Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Fast Friendly "Alfredo"

Don't tell my husband what is in this, he'll never let me make it again!

We are on the Daniel Fast and I can only take so many rice and beans before I feel I will turn into a burrito. Money was a bit tight this week, being the tail end of the paycheck week, so I needed something to make that would stretch. Lily can not have tomatoes because of her nightshade sensitivity so we try to make unique pasta dishes anyway.
I found this online and made my own variation to stay true to the Daniel Fast. The original calls for cream, but I trade that out for veggie broth, or soymilk (unsweet)

VEGAN ALFREDO

1 sm head califlower, chopped
2 cloves garlic, diced
1 sm shallot, diced
2 Tbs EVOO
1 pound whole wheat linguine (or noodle of choice)
1/4 C veggie broth or soymilk

Cook pasta according to directions. In a skillet heat the EVOO and saute the garlic and shallot until transluscent. Add salt and pepper. Steam Cauliflower until very soft, drain and add to garlicky oil mix. Mash with potato masher or use a mixer until it is creamy, add the broth or soymilk until the consistency of sauce (it does separate a little) S and P to taste. I added red pepper flakes to mine after the kids were served.

Everyone ate it up and no one knew what it was!
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try this with Jack!! I don't have veggie broth, and I only have sweetened coconut milk right now. Think I could use the liquid from the cauliflower if I boil instead of steam?

    Think I'll give that a try and let you know how it goes.

    I'll have to add some meat on the side, as Jason wasn't too happy about my suggestion that we try a vegan diet (even though 6 months ago, he wanted to go vegetarian, why was it better when it was his idea?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we are done fasting, I think I'll keep this recipe, but add meat for sure!

    ReplyDelete