Wednesday, January 26, 2011

DIY Coconut Milk

After a friend told me about doing it, I wanted to try too.
I made my own coconut milk...well, Coconut flavored water at least.
I started with a brown coconut (then later read that I should have started with a younger one that has more water in it)
After breaking it and getting out all the meat I peeled the brown skin off as much of the coconut meat as possible. This was a little hard because the skin is so tough, but using a small paring knife made it easier. Then you toss it in the blender and add water.

As you blend, you have to get your hand and squeeze out some of the "milk".
You can also use cheesecloth, but what is the fun in that?


I felt like I got a really nice moisturizer for my hands with all the coconut oil and there was oil and coconut snow on everything in my kitchen.

After you strain off the milk, you have milky white juice and flaky coconut meat.
I tried making granola bars with the coconut, using oatmeal, raisins, walnuts and chocolate chips. They didn't hold well, but they tasted great and ended up more like granola than bars. I guess I could have tried to bake them to make a crunchy bar.
The milk was used in my fruit smoothies and added a great flavor and creaminess.

It did NOT come out the consistency of the canned coconut milk, either because of what I used, or the lack of power from my blender, but it was usable.

The best part was Lily wearing her coconut hat. I didn't get a picture because I was busy with my mess.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment